Panhandle Early Learning Connections
Panhandle Early Learning Connections (PELC) is part of an integrated system of early childhood professional development. The PELC one of seven regional Early Learning Connection partnerships, along with other state and regional partners. It is designed as a system that supports the career and professional development of all who provide programs and services for young children birth through age eight that includes:
- Professional development for early childhood and school-age;
- Supports for implementation utilizing early childhood coaches;
- Program quality assessments – Environment Rating Scale (ERS)
- Strategic planning with higher education (2-yr and 4-yr.) and other adult learning organizations;
- Community engagement and outreach.
Elements of the Early Learning Connection professional development system to support a well-qualified and skilled workforce across a range of programs and services include:
- A core body of knowledge identified in Nebraska’s Core Competencies for Early Childhood Professionals and the School-Age and Youth Development Core Competencies;
- Early Learning Guidelines: Nebraska’s Birth to Five Learning and Development Standards that are aligned to the K-12 school standards;
- Early Learning Connection Registry for practitioners, including trainers, and programs (under development);
- Outreach and access strategies of the NECPRS - web-based statewide training calendar and assistance in the selection of child care;
- Intentional strategies to create a quality improvement system in which all early childhood programs and practitioners are supported and encouraged to improve child outcomes, including through Results Matter and Step Up to Quality;
- Connections with an array of professional and career development entities that have an adult education and learning mission.
- Panhandle Early Learning Connections Newsletter
The Early Learning Connection is supported with resources from the federal Child Care and Development Fund, IDEA Part C, IDEA Part B-619 and other public and private funding.